Disposable gloves should be worn while performing various tasks throughout the workday. Restaurant operators should ensure that they stock a variety of glove sizes and that each station is equipped with its own box of gloves to minimize sharing and traveling throughout the restaurant to acquire supplies. Additional information can be found in the Glove Usage SOP.
When to Wear Gloves
Disposable gloves must be worn when:
• Working with ready-to-eat (RTE) foods
• Receiving deliveries
• Working with raw animal products
• Handling food contact surfaces, tools, and smallwares (utensils, containers, serving ware, glassware, etc.)
• Facilitating guest payment options (cash, credit cards, etc.)
When to Change Gloves
• In between kitchen tasks
• After clearing dining tables and touching guest tabletop items
• After handling payment options
• If the integrity of the glove is compromised (torn, punctured, etc.)
How to Take Off Gloves
1. Grab the outside lip of the glove near the wrist area.
2. Holding your arms pointed downwards, peel the glove away from the wrist to turn it inside-out.
3. Pull the glove away until it is removed from the hand and hold the inverted glove with your gloved hand.
4. With your ungloved hand, slide your finger(s) under the wrist of the remaining glove and pull the glove down to remove it from your hand. Be careful not to touch the outer surface of the glove.
5. Dispose of the used gloves in a garbage bin and wash your hands.